Can I get a Cal Grant if Iím going to a community college?

If youíll be attending a California Community College in the fall and you missed the March 2 Cal Grant application deadline, you have a second opportunity to apply for a Cal Grant by September 2. Since the number of awards available in September is limited, you should try to meet the March 2 deadline.

If you receive a Cal Grant A but decide to attend a California Community College first, your award will be held in reserve for up to two years until you transfer to a four-year college (as a Cal Grant recipient, your community college fees will be waived and community colleges donít charge tuition). Be sure to inform the California Student Aid Commission of any address changes during this time. When youíre ready to transfer, be sure to notify the Commission so that your Cal Grant eligibility can be re-evaluated. Also, let your new college know that you have a Cal Grant A Reserve Grant.

If you receive a Cal Grant B, you can use your $1,656 living allowance to help pay for books and other community college costs. (If you do, however, keep in mind that youíll be using up Cal Grant eligibility that you may instead want to save if youíre planning to transfer to a four-year college.)

If youíre pursuing a career or technical education, you can use your Cal Grant C award to pay for books and supplies at a community college.

If you didnít receive a Cal Grant for community college, you may qualify for a Cal Grant Transfer Entitlement award to attend a four-year college.