What can you do if you think you have been victimized?

First — contact the fraud departments of each of the three major credit bureaus:

Second — close the accounts that you know or believe have been tampered with or opened fraudulently.

Third — contact law enforcement officials to file a police report with your local police or the police in the community where the theft took place.

If someone has contacted you about student financial aid services, and you suspect fraud:

  • Right away, contact your schoolís financial aid office with any information you may have, such as the name and telephone number of the person who contacted you; the company/business they said they represent; what they said or what information they asked you for.
  • If you are contacted about a service provided by the California Student Aid Commission and you suspect fraud, contact the Commissionís Customer Service staff at 888-CA-GRANT, thatís 888-224-7268. You may also email us at studentsupport@csac.ca.gov