Cal Grant A *

For Undergraduates

Cal Grant A

Cal Grant A assists with tuition and fees at public and independent colleges, and some occupational and career colleges. At the University of California and the California State University, the award covers up to full system-wide fees. Your coursework must be for at least two academic years.

There are two Cal Grant A awards: Entitlement and Competitive. There is also a Cal Grant A award for students transferring from a California Community College to a four-year college.

Cal Grant A Entitlement Award
  • Students who meet all the Cal Grant eligibility requirements, have at least a 3.0 high school grade point average, and apply by March 2 either of the year they graduate from high school or the following year are guaranteed a Cal Grant A. Students awarded an Entitlement Cal Grant A must confirm their high school graduation at before funds can be disbursed.
  • The Cal Grant A Entitlement award provides for tuition and fees at the California State University and the University of California, as well as tuition support at participating independent colleges and universities and career colleges.
  • For year 2014-15, a Cal Grant A pays $12,192 at the University of California, $5,472 at California State University, and $8,056 at WASC-accredited non-public colleges or $4,000 at non-WASC accredited non-public colleges.

Cal Grant A and B Competitive Awards
  • Students who are not eligible for a Cal Grant A or B Entitlement award may compete for a Cal Grant A or B Competitive award.
  • Cal Grant Competitive awards are the same as a Cal Grant Entitlement awards, except that they are not guaranteed.
  • Students can submit high school, college, or reestablished GPAs (See GPA webpage for more information.)
  • Each year, 22,500 Cal Grant Competitive awards are available. Of these, 11,250 are for students who do not qualify for a Cal Grant Entitlement award, but who otherwise meet the Cal Grant requirements and apply by March 2.
  • The remaining 11,250 awards are set aside for eligible California Community College students who meet the September 2 deadline.
Community College Reserve Grant

If you receive a Cal Grant A but attend a California Community College first, your award will be reserved for up to three years until you transfer to a four-year college, if you continue to qualify. If you list a California Community College before a four-year California college on your FAFSA, it will be assumed the community college is your first choice. If you receive a Cal Grant A, it will be placed in reserve for your first year unless you transfer to a tuition or fee-charging college and activate your award. When you transfer, be sure to submit a school change on your WebGrants for Students account and let your school know you have a reserve grant.

California Community College Transfer Entitlement Cal Grant
  • California Community College (CCC) students who meet all the Cal Grant eligibility requirements, have at least a 2.4 community college GPA, and meet the awards additional requirements (listed below) are guaranteed a Cal Grant to attend a four-year college.
  • To qualify, students also must have graduated from a California high school after June 30, 2000, have been a California resident at the time they graduated high school and be under the age of 28 as of December 31 of the year in which they first receive an award.
  • To qualify, students must also transfer and enroll at a California baccalaureate degree granting institution in the next academic year following their CCC enrollment.
  • In addition, students cannot have received a Cal Grant within a year of graduating from high school.

If you have just applied for/or received notification that you have been awarded a new Cal Grant, refer to the new Cal Grant recipients fact sheet listed below.